Sunday, December 22, 2013

Another Drop In The Bucket

A few days ago someone said to me, in the context of what I had gone through - death came knocking at your door and you slammed the door in its face. I never thought of the disease that way, apparently that is how it might be perceived by others. The more I kept thinking about it, I realized the strong meaning behind it. However, I believe a survivor of a serious illness should not be an object of compassion, mercy, awe or admiration. Instead he or she, should be welcomed back to society as someone that can contribute something, from his/her experience, including the tools that helped him cope. Providing encouragement to otherwise, healthy people who might G-d forbid, encounter a similar personal crisis themselves or among their relatives. Unfortunately, reality is different. For those patients who were not lucky to have adequate support, socio-economic and psychological, and all sorts of reasons, the situation is not so simple.


Not everyone comes wrought out a crisis of an illness, and the end of the disease for many, is often a beginning of a new battle. It is likely that society sees in him now a vulnerable, fragile and unstable person, not so pleasant . Quite a few people tend to hide their illness in order to avoid being perceived as weak or pitiful. But often comes the moment of truth, the illness or the fact of being recently ill, are revealed, and with it come along conventional views and perceptions from society. In such a competitive and dynamic world, one that many find it difficult to catch up with the pace while being healthy, what are the chances of reintegration for those who were temporarily disadvantaged due to a disease?

One of the beautiful and amazing things I've discovered these recent weeks, were the positive energy and inner happiness that can be driven from a realization of a new idea. Since I decided to move the wheel and hit the road with the Pink Campus, I found myself in a state of unceasing doing. I have built connections with great and professional people, I was invited to meetings and created a stunning presentation. The highlight of it all was when I got invited to a TV program audition to talk about my pink dream. I found myself sitting in front of a camera and a charming interviewer, telling my story naturally and confidently, announcing that I plan to execute my venture and if necessary, devote my life to do it. When I came out I realized that this happiness of doing a thing you believe in, is the same thing that I was actually working to achieve for many other women, and this I believe is the enormous value of the project.

Entrepreneurship requires determination, inner strength and faith, in order to move an idea forward. On the other hand, the same features are required when fighting and beating a severe disease.
In the Pink Campus, women who have had one of the most difficult experiences one can undergo during her lifetime, will learn to channel their strength and determination, needed throughout their struggle, all in favor of new ideas, whether big or small, ending up being a little more prepared to start a new life. For this cause, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to see this project come into fruition.

Many women carry with them at the end of the treatments, a heavy burden like a stone, in their heart. 
Carriers of  non sympathetic genes, those that increase the likelihood that the disease will visit the other side or other parts of the body, are forced to return to their homes at the end of a round of long and arduous treatments, considering preventive care including additional non simple surgeries. My heart goes out to these women, who know that it's not the end of their journey.
My treat  at the end of treatments was not a burdened heart of stone, but rather, two large stones in my gall bladder, that started to cause me excruciating pain and discomfort for more than a week. Luckily I was so busy with all my venture, that I didn't allow  this incident to affect my mood much, despite the fact that in two days, I will undergo a minor surgery to end this trouble. After everything I went through and comparing to the pink future I predict, it's just another drop in the bucket, for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment