Friday, October 11, 2013

A sister from abroad

One morning two weeks ago, my daily routine was rather unusual. On this morning, dear Moran drove me to the hospital as Eli had gone to a meeting and needed the car. At the end of my treatment I made ​​my way to the bus stop a few hundred yards from the hospital. I don't know how many of you share an emotional experience when listening to music, and how it can and influence you and penetrate into the depths of your soul. Everyone with their particular music, each one with their own taste .
And so it happened that I found myself walking that morning, with my amazing music in my ears, In such a heightened sense as if I could conquer the world. As I was walking, enjoying the pleasant morning air and trying to escape from the sunbeam down the road, It suddenly struck me that I'm alone as I faced numerous people coming towards me, from the opposite direction, probably to begin their working day in the various offices scattered around Ramat Hahayial area. And so it happened that under the influence of the music I was filled with a sense of inner peace and tranquility that led to thoughts about my current stage, the future to come and what will I be doing.

I was already at the bus stop and continued towards the shaded hill nearby to wait, when suddenly saw her.
A familiar face whom I recognised from the radiotherapy department. She stood behind the bus station also seeking shelter from the sun. I guess it was the influence of that strange emotional state of mind that led me, without thinking too much, to approach that girl and ask how she was feeling. As I turned to her and introduced myself, I was surprised at her answer in English with a Russian accent, telling me she doesn't not speak Hebrew. We continued the conversation in English and found out we were waiting for the same bus line - 142 which she said she had been waiting for half an hour... We begun to get to know each other, and then the bus arrived. We sat down together and when I asked her where she needed to get off, it turned out we were heading to the same area, getting off at the same station in central Tel Aviv ...

Introducing to you: Julia, an amazing young woman from Moscow Russia, that has come to Israel to be treated with her breast cancer disease. Her chemotherapy sessions were done alternately in Tel Hashomer and Moscow flighting back and forth, her surgery in Assuta, and now she is at the stage of the radiotherapy, at the same institution I'm being treated. 

Julia came to spend five weeks of radiotherapy with her five year old son and her father. They are not Jewish, and have no acquaintances in Israel . While she comes every morning to have her treatments, her son and father are having fun on the beach. Upon her return from treatment, she continues to engage with her work from a small rented apartment in central Tel Aviv, through Skype and Internet supported by her generous employers. And so my dear readers, I was privileged to meet a sister from abroad. I started to get to know her unique and outstanding life story, little by little, each and every day, when I had offered her to joine me on my daily car trips, that occurred in the same hospital, same treatment room, and same bed as follows - she was first, I was next.

Last week when I happened to come early to meet with my therapist , I visited the little hairdresser room is Tel Hashomer hospital. Believe it or not , I already needed a haircut ! 
It suddenly struck me when I looked in a double mirror what it looked like behind my neck. Very messed and non aesthetics. Six months ago, in the the same hairdresser room, I had considered shaving the hair that had started to fall out, but this time I received a very nice style to my fresh new grown hair, by an adorable staff who are doing wonderful volunteers work for free. 
While I was waiting there, an attractive young woman was waiting next to me, for her wig that was being treated and taken care while it was put on a special hanger. Her revealed real hair was as short as mine. When her wig was ready and placed back on her head, I did not hesitate for a moment and I said - you look lovely even without the wig. You should really consider saying goodbye to it. My comment was Immediately supported by the hairdresser and all other people around.

One week is left to the end of radiotherapy sessions. In a short period of time I will be able to put this experience behind me, but part of me refuses to do so. And I begin to understand that this part will never leave. The part of me that wants to make sure all other sick women reach the finish line strong and solid. This part of me wants to be alongside these women, who are required to look straight toward a not simple process of treatments and procedures on their bodies, and to be there for them, offer encouragement and help them believe and understand they will be fine afterwords.
In this pink awareness month and also in the less pink ones, they will always remain the true heroes of this damn disease.



No comments:

Post a Comment