Thursday, June 6, 2013

Written Group Thraphy


27/3/13

Yesterday my dear Eli celebrated 46.

I feel better than ever, as if  I'm not really sick. As if I did not go through my first chemotherapy treatment almost two weeks ago. Passover eve was very nice. I received compliments on my new (short hair) appearance. Everyone was happy. At the end of the evening we left Michael and Avi with Grandma and Grandpa in Jerusalem. Sweet David changed his mind at the last moment. "I'm little" he explained, and was torn between his desire to stay as his big brothers away from Mom and Dad and very non sympathetic though he would be torn from us for a few days. So little David and big brother Yossi, retured with us to Tel Aviv city. David will light up our days and make Eli the happiest person when he will sing birthday songs on his birthday.

I decided to email my dear Dutch instagram followers who were wondering about my sudden disappearance from there, and thank them for their prayers and healing wishes. 
I started thinking about  the positive way my written expression in front of friends and family, affects me with my illness. It looks like I invented some sort of written group therapy that could be a replacement for an actual therapist, just like that. I believe my mental strength would have not lasted without these great people - relatives and almost total strangers - being such an excited responsive audience thanking me and saying they draw strength from my words.


My personal decision to win this battle is one thing, but making a public statement in front of different people, most of them very dear to me, had forced me into a commitment. Such a commitment which is very hard to break. I do believe it's a matter of character but I also believe that regardless of ones nature, one can and should try this method in similar cases. It's like a magic circle. I really feel good most of the days since I received  the orange juice infusion. I do not know if one feeds the other - the statement that everything is not that bad along with the relatively good physical feeling - it's working and that's what matters.



What encourages me to think on the bright side, is the will to stay someone who inspite of her illness, can feel good and be happy, and not become pathetic. There no such satisfaction when I realize I can do something in return for the concern of my friends and family for me, through writing and sharing what I'm going through. The decision to be happy and not break down was influenced allot by my dearest Eli who requested from me this one thing - to try to be happy, otherwise my sadness will break his heart. And I tried and I keep trying. There are always reasons to be happy, we only have to be able to retrieve them from the pile of worries  we usally deal with in our life.



No comments:

Post a Comment